Mission made a valiant effort vs the San Quentin Giants but ended up losing 9-6, which is a victory in many ways. We had 2 new fish (Sonny and Miles), 2 inmates on our side and Sean on the bump. Carter led the scoring off with a 2-run blast over the barbed wire in left. SQ took the lead at 3-2 and worked it up to 5-2. Some late runs by SQ got them to 9-3. We held strong an rallied to 9-6.
• Sonny and Miles joined the SQ club.
• Miles got hosed when the ump called a hit a foul ball off his foot. But lined one up the middle a few pitches later. Then Dewey tried his hardest to pick off Miles.
• Sean was called Sandy Koufax (last game Phelps was referred to as Jamie Moyer). I love the chatter.
• Jimmy made a sick diving stab at 3rd.
• Mike had an RBI hit to the right side and played a great 1B
• Sonny’s nerves were visible but managed to play a good game
• Brian had an adventure in center but only one ball escaped his grasp which landed next to the tables in center.
• Brian also ended an inning on a double-play throwing out an over zealous baserunner trying to advance to third on a flyout.
• Sean hustled down the line to beat out a possible inning ending double play, which scored a run.
• Greg was a wall behind the dish and had a good oppo field RBI hit
• Carter’s bomb was the talk of the after game. Interviewed for the newsletter which will read “SQ Giants beat Mission 9-6. Carter hit a bomb!”
• Carter had a dream the night before the game of Jimmy hitting bombs in batting practice, but it was he who was on cloud nine after the game.
• Carter also got hit in the head (everything ok) and then they tried to pick him off. The nerves.
• Beers and burgers were had by some after the game. The sweet taste of defeat.