Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superbowl, pfffffffffffffffffffff.....

Well, after all the whining and complaining and threatening, we finally had a full team out there, even an extra here and there. The day couldn't have been better, the teams were evenly matched, and we had a surprise visit from not one but three historical players, Dani and Pete and a much late but great Brustus appearance.

The game went briskly and the see-saw was in effect. There were thrills, spills, and cheers....and we weren't watching the Superbowl, so that made it extra nice.

The final score was 6-5, and I found myself on the losing side for the first time in quite a while. I got to give the other squad credit, they came through when they needed to, and Johnny and Sean combined to keep us off balance. Noah backed me up solidly, but a few errors and flares and a Rick big fly and all of a sudden we were sucking hind left tit. Eh, it happens. I do love a tight contest though, funny how we actually take it seriously sometimes....well, not too seriously.

Now I know I have been bragging about the beautiful days as of late, but this one might have been the best....and maybe it was added by the high quality game and the stalwart players that came out.

So for all of those suckers that watched the Superbowl, you missed a game that will be referenced again....and those who were there will know what we're talking about....

For our East Coast brethren, stay warm, and loose, Spring training is on its way.

Highlights:

* Rick, again, with the hits and rbi's...and one error, you still owe us.

* Solid double play when I needed it, Mitch to Dani to Nick

* Yours truly finally struck out Lattig, for the first time since 2006, I think.

* Gaspar up the middle????

* The return of Johnny Bartlett, good to see you the north side of a six foot hole, my friend, hope you feel better....

* Bob catching a tricky pop up while I was barreling in on him

* Greg and Adam for missing the popups I gave 'em.

* And a day spent in pursuit of a true American past time.

Now where's the Advil, ice and booze?


S. Paige

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I'm beginning to think I actually have no idea in advance what I'm going to do out there on any given Sunday.

Thanks for the weekly summaries, I really enjoy them.

S. Paige said...

My pleasure, glad to know that someone is actually reading this stuff. Greg said his brother in Utah is a fan, so hey, maybe this isn't complete waste of time....

Way to crush the ol' pill out there.

Duane Harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duane Harris said...

Im still pissed at myself for losing that pop fly in center field! In any case, I am still stoked on the game. We couldn't have asked for better weather and group of people to play!

unmusical said...

This was a classic Mission Baseball game. Thanks for sparing me, Aaron, by not mentioning that you picked me off first base! An embarrassing moment but the first time I've ever been picked off first base. I saved face later in the game by starting our game winning rally with a single. Can't wait to play again. Although rain is forecast this weekend.