Friday, November 16, 2012
11/11/12 Big Rec
We returned to Big Rec, with the same sunny blue environs, a few degrees cooler, a few less people, and another great day of baseball. I was late once again, and made the teams 10-10, but with a fairly similar team breakdown. Sean was back and pitching for the visitors, displaying his usual prowess and skill. Johnny started for the homers and pitched well, mixing his bag of tricks in with the hard stuff. Will came into relieve Sean and Satch and Tony combined for the late inning duties in relief of Johnny.
The big news was two-fold, first, the first official game of Jen a.k.a Hedgehog a,k.a Dani Chicken Farmer's main squeeze, who hails from the great state of Loo-siana. She had a great game, and we were all very pleased that she was willing to play with us, hopefully it is the beginning of a long and fruitful career. Dani didn't play, which was kind of lame, but did play team shutterbug, and she flitted around the diamond taking snaps and talking trash. Jen managed to make consistent contact in her at bats, which is more than I can say for many of us and staffed right field with aplomb.
Second, out of the blue, the original Satchel Paige showed up, and gabbed with us for a good hour. he has moved back from Thailand and now lives in Sacramento. Hopefully this means that he will be around more often and maybe retake the bump at some point, but for now it was just good to see him.
It was a great defensive game with a number of gems, off the top of my head: Mitch, Will, Duane, Bob, Greg, Chris, Satch, Gaspar, Elvin all made amazing plays. I know for myself, I didn't think I had a chance at making the play, even after I made it....ain't that always the way.
The final was a tight 6-4? we played an extra, and it felt like one of the more enjoyable games I have experienced in the last few years. It's a good thing, we should protect it.
* Rich hit the longest sacrifice fly int he history of baseball. This thing would have cleared West Sunset center field fence
* Nero had a friend make some MBC decals, you know, for kids....and for helmets and vans. My handpainted helmet is now stupid looking, again.
* The homers had at least 2 or three double plays!
* Elvin's white sunglasses scared a ball out of his glove
* Lattig got back into the spray hitting Lattig we all know and fear
* Gaspar had a typical 13 pitch at bat and then hit one over the short stop's head, classic
* Mitch was again doing everything
* Thanks to our Bazooka Joe benefactor, whoever you may be. My attorney will be contacting you about my dentist bill. We also had a great discussion on the quality of comics that we feel has suffered
* Adam had some great saves at first
* Tony also flashed the leather, NIck's leather in fact, and used it to get Nick out, is that ironic or is that just shitty?
* I have to start getting out earlier, I am not the one you want in the outfield, but that is where I end up
* The changeup got some big outs
* One of those outs was a infield fly play that of course dropped on the ground behind the mound
* It was good to reminisce about some of the MBC interlopers from past and present
* Bob was hit twice, both times with two strikes and both with exceedingly slow balls.
* A great game, a great bunch of people, now can someone explain how Bazooka Joe lost his eye?