Tuesday, March 26, 2019

3/24/19 Cop Fi...wait, Swampy

The league guys playing on our field of legal rental were in the fourth inning at game time, so rather than be dicks we took the gear down to Camp Swampy.  Thanks to Sean for sending out the update to everyone, was very helpful in parking on the right side.

Another great turnout, 22 players for the bulk of the game, we were legit at the beginning and had a couple of late arrivals.  Greg started for the homers and Mitch for the visitors, and once again both starting pitchers were great, and both times I came in and screwed it all up. 

Seriously, Mitch threw his heart out, and I think he was even getting a little squeezed by Bob!  There, I said it.  But the runs stayed low on both sides. Greg was throwing excellent inside ball, as usual.  He also hit Mitch, which I don't think is completely kosher, but hey, that is just me. 

I came in, and the first four batters all hit me, real. hard.  Not all of them were hits, but enough were, and they were all done loudly and with authority.  I managed to get through the inning with minimal damage to the score, but as I was walking in, Bob said, " Boy you ain't fooling nobody."  Truer words were rarely spoken.

I settled down in to what I thought was a good groove, but ended up giving up several more runs, punctuated by Elvin taking me 238 feet deep with base runners on for a "stand-up double."  There was no looking back after that.

Sean came in for the homers, and kept us off balance, and I bowed out in turn to Lattig, who was able to stop the bleeding, and who threw a nastiest curveball of the day at one point.  I think Mike N may have come to close the game, but our team, warriors to the last, were half out of their spikes by then.

Our team was woulda, coulda, shoulda all day, and the score ended in 5-1 (2?), homers.

Highlights


* Greg, Mitch, Sean and Lattig all pitched great

* MVP has to go to Elvin, who did it with the bat and the glove, making the plays, especially at 2nd, and having at least 2-3 hits.

* I think our sole run during the early part of the game was on a Elvin dropped ball, this was Elvin's game

* Lattig and I counted at least 3-4 potential foul outs that were ruined by the short roof of the backstop at Swampy

* Brandon had a tough game inn left,  but never gave up

* I believe our stand out hitter was Bob, 3-4, all singles, and all very nice

* Tony was back out, still only defensively but damn good to see him in a uniform again

* Abe made the SS baller's 3rd out move: go for the run-down between 2nd and 3rd, rather than the safe force play at first. And who was the runner who was caught in the pickle you might ask?  Elvin

* Sean and Lattig both made some great scoops at 1st.

* Camp Swampy is not a bad field anymore, of course, it's getting plenty of water at the moment,  but the mound is actually in great shape

Forecast: Rain, Rain, Rain, then Sun, Sun Sun