Monday, July 20, 2020

7/20/20 A wishful game

If we were going play a game, I think this is how I would like it to go down. 

First, it would be a good showing of good people.  There would be 16 players, to give everyone another at bat, and a more action in defense.  I would start for the homers, and Sonny would start for the visitors, and we would both pitch really well, deep into the game.  At least 6 innings, and I would like to strike out maybe, 3 people, including Tim to finish my day on a wicked change-up that he waved at.  I would be especially happy with that because Tim would have had 3 hits off of me already.

Sonny would be just as good, though not quite as sharp, and we would have scored 2 runs in the 2nd inning, and then hold the visitors off from scoring for a few innings more.  Then the visitors would score one and it would be a good tight game, back and forth with multiple double plays and derring-do with catches made in the outfield and runners on third.

It would be especially sweet if Mitch was filling in defense for the homers and make an amazing running catch and a bullet throw to home to keep the runner there and preserve the lead. 

I figure after 6 innings, I would have been done, and Powell would want to come in and pitch.  Same would go for Sonny, and Mike N. and HR would probably want a chance to hurl the ball.  I think it would be exciting if somewhere in there the visitors would tie the game and we would suddenly have a real nail biter.  Who knows, maybe even some controversy like Mitch hitting a triple but it rolling into the soccer game in left and being declared a dead ball, ground rule double.  And then Sonny would have to come back to third and they wouldn't get that go ahead run they needed.

Maybe even extra innings, with Dave coming in and throwing like Bob Gibson. 

Since it's my game to imagine, I would hope that my team would win in the bottom of the 10th on a line drive to right from Adam, to put the game away, since he is a good guy.

Highlights I would have liked to have seen:

* Great catches from Anna in left and right field as well as 2 hits

* A bang bang double play

* A successful covering 1st play by me, to see if I could still beat the runner.

* Mitch's long run catch and Ichiro-like throw

* Adam making some scoops at 1st

* Mike N throwing a nasty knuckle curve

* Bob calling two horrendous strikes against me

* Gaspar beating the shift

* Bob going up to hit a fastball at his eye line.

* Everyone who successfully caught a pop fly in the wind.

* Tony opting to go home to preserve the lead, and Gaspar with the tag

* Dave's big bat, and dominance on the mound

* The new guy who had a rough day at the plate, but played well and kept it cool

* Controversy on a play at 2nd, was the ball ever in control, or was it a transfer drop?

* Gaspar with a beautiful bunt

* Sometimes Bob doesn't get HBP, but maybe I do

Something that I have always dreamed about would be if we had our own band that played olde tyme jazz standards while we had our game and took requests.  That would be the perfect finishing touch to a great game. 




No comments: