Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A day in the Marina

Beautiful. Warm. Breezy. Blue Sky. It’s spring finally, and I got the allergies to prove it. But, it beats the hell out of rain and fog. As an added bonus, the game this week was in the Marina, where the sun pours on to the field, and Parks and Rec must pay a little added attention to the rich people games, because the field was in immaculate condition. We had 17 this week, which was nice to have a little more of a relaxed game, and not be fielding your own teams fly balls. We were haunted early by a drunk bum (not the one Greg beaned) who asked us at least five times who we were, and when the other team was showing up. Then it was explained that we were the other team, he got confused and didn’t know who to cheer for. It became too much for him, and he left, much to the relief of us all, having a drunken gargoyle standing over you, teetering on the falling or vomiting is not the relaxing Sunday we all come out for. He threatened to play, but his broken hand, and lack of email address will probably keep that from happening.

From the onset, I thought ol’ Satch’s team was outmatched bat-wise, but low and behold we had three runs by the end of the 1st, and kept adding. It was a classic showdown, yours truly grinding the soup bone for the visitors and Mr. Snyder for the home squad. It’s been awhile since Greg pitched, not that it showed in performance, but I think he gets tired of catching all the time. If he wasn’t so good at it, we might let him relax once in while….

Defensively we were pretty even, each of us had some ugly innings, and the softball batting practice that occurred from the 3rd to the 6th inning was not helping. Since they were totally in the right, we had to let them do what they wanted. Our permit problems have now been properly explained, and it requires some initiative on the part of the squad. Bob can only get four hours a month from P&R, which means that if we want 2 hour permits, we need to have at least one other person getting permits in THEIR NAME. That is the sticky situation, so I figure (as Mitch stated) we are all adults, and we probably are capable of organizing this. We could rotate one or two people each month from a core group of volunteers that know they will be able to make it, or whatever. I am asking you all to add your feedback, a plan needs to be made here, so we don’t have to kiss the softball players asses anymore….that should be reason enough to figure it out.

Mr. Snyder and I ended up going the distance, challenging one another to finish it up, probably our first combined CG since the rainy times. My slowball was working well, as was my knuckle, but people kept hitting that one, so I focused on getting groundballs and popups. It worked, although the comeback made me a little nervous. Greg’s beanball was working pretty well too, although I think I was the only one that got plunked. It’s been awhile since I was hit square.



You can see the stitch marks on the impact point, and you bet I milked that one for it was worth that night.I have leaned into a few over the years when I got behind early in a count, but this one was a surprise. Well, not too much, as I saw it all the way, thinking curveball, waiting for it to break, and then it was up in me. The SQ game is coming up, so I would suggest all those playing get ready, as Stretch is not above a plunking or three.

Mounting a great comeback, the home squad fell short in the end, but the final was 12-9, which was pretty amazing. The difference in the game, probably was Mitch, again, who scored at least 3 times, stole bases, played the hot corner, and in general showed that he was most likely that guy you could never get out in high school ball.

Highlights

* Enough people for a real game

* The brothers Bhatia combining for four hits, keep ‘em coming

* Complete game showdown, with a shut out intact until the fourth?? fifth??

* Nero and Gaspar (with a hurt leg) catching a good game, and Bob going the distance behind the dish for Snyder’s team

* Every hit to right field that freaked out the softballers……wussies.

* The double play and a half that ended the game

* It seemed like everyone got at least one hit on the day, which is nice.

* I struck out looking. Been doing that more lately. Not really a highlight.

* Greg’s five pitch inning.

* Bob hit count- 1. It was a classic changeup to the posterior. It wasn’t retaliatory, but I was jealous that I didn’t get hit there.

Bring it on, April. Stretch those hammies and ice those shoulders.

S. Paige

3 comments:

unmusical said...

Other hi-lights: *Newer guy Brian with two 0-2 hits. He also caught the blistering line drive Rick sent to left field. Brian had a great game overall. *Mike, who was spotlighted earlier as one of the best hitters we have, illustrating that again by taking a rising fast ball up & in and lining a solid single to left field.

S. Paige said...

I concur. Although Mike's dumpoff hits on my curves is frustrating me.

Duane Harris said...

How about this for a low-light:

The inning (6th?) where I fucked up 3 times in centerfield where I thought I was playing deep enough. I felt like it was deja vu over. It really took away any excitement of connecting for a homerun the inning before. Oh well it was still a great day for a game of baseball!