Monday, March 14, 2011

3/13/11- Moscone

We are playing baseball and that is final. That was pretty much the gist of the mail that I sent out at the beginning of the weekend. And it seemed to work well enough, we had exactly 18 out there, and a pretty good game after it was all said and done. Although the teams may have been a little lopsided, there was enough tension to warrant that it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Satch started for the homers, and threw the standard 9, plus two innings of the 3 inning game that we played afterwards. Yeah, you read that right. And the arm isn't really all that sore today, its mostly legs and back and ankles and wrists. But more on that later. Greg started for the visitors, and did a great job keeping us stymied for most of the game. The visitors teed off on me like the stands were packed with baseball scouts, and when they weren't getting legit hits, there were some miscommunication and booted balls which helped the visitors to keep on coming. By the end of the 1st it was 4-0. Then it was 6-1. At least we were on the board, thanks to Satch's high fly ball, pass ball, fielders choice, fielders choice again, run scored. I alerted my team that I would not be doing any more of that unless absolutely necessary. Maybe that's why my legs are sore.

We were welcomed, as we often are, by the sweet siren song of the bum that hangs in the Marina. I think we might have gotten his name this time, but we definitely knew he was drunk, and that he was ex-military, and is supposedly moving to Florida and getting $1900 for his Army disability. Which would put him at around 70% service connection ( I work in the business). He yelled at pretty much everyone, cursed Lattig for his Dodgers alliance, and in general, did what he does. He'll be missed.

We started a real comeback around the 7th, when Greg's luck finally wore off and we started hitting the ball. It had rained a few times since the beginning of the game, well, misted, and I am sure that the heavier ball probably worked in our favor too. In any case, we managed to close the gap to a one run game. It was not to be, however, as the visitors did not sit back on their laurels, and exploded for a few insurance runs to take the 9 inning victory.

The rain had turned to hazy sun when we finished, so we wiped the slate clean and started a 3 inning exhibition. Tony had taken over for Greg in the 8th, then made a mid inning switch, and brought Greg back to the mound. Then Tony went back to the mound to throw some more for the short game. Satch kept throwing, until finally relenting to let Brian Phelps have the last inning. Us homers had dominated the first inning of the second game and were cruising along, eager to squeeze some dignity out of the day, but the visitors would not be denied, and slowly they crushed our hopes in the 3rd, took the lead, and shut us down in our bold attempt to comeback. 20 minutes later, it started to really rain.

Highlights

* For a game that highlighted some defensive gaffes, we managed a number of double plays, both traditional and otherwise.

* John Nero was a Hoover at 2nd base, accounting for at least 6 or 7 put outs, his first play of the game was a real beauty

* Doc came out, on his motorcycle, and got at least 2 hits!

* We broke 3 bats in the dead muggy air

* I had one of the most beautiful sounding line drives of all time, that went straight to the center fielder.

* 4 comebackers, two of which might have taken my head off. I got a glove on both of those screamers, and then lost them

* Rich played an amazing 3rd base, making two over the shoulder catches in short right, and starting our inning ending double play.

* Rich also became the 1st MBC'er to hit the light pole in the top rung, and then have the ball drop into the protected area

* He also hit a line drive foul that hit a branch squarely and bounced all the way back into fair territory.

* Chris also had an amazing defensive game, including robbing me of a sure fire hit, again.

* Jimmy played a good 2nd, and had a angry triple that rolled into the softball game

* The change up worked on most people, and I got a lot of waves and bat throws.

* The change up also worked on me, as I hit two very high outs. I finally made up for it with a first pitch rocket to Mars that cleared everything. Too bad it was wet, or I might have been able to walk around the bases. I got a double because I am fat and tired.

* Thanks to Ed, Mitch, Greg, Gaspar, and Tony for catching

* Gaspar had a classic hit to left, even in the face of an obvious Gaspar shift

* Paul also had a nice clean line drive when we needed it

* John's triple sparked us to start our long road back in the first game

* Gaspar earned the new nickname "Huckleberry" by choosing to play and steal in his rolled up jeans, you looked awesome Mike!

* A big thank you to JT and Bob, for the new boxes of Rawlings balls that came our way. I picked them up at the Presidio field, man, we got to play there again, it is looking great!

* I did the thing that I always bitch about, which was swing when a person is stealing second. In my defense, at least I didn't foul it off, I just missed it.

Lets hope for sun, we are at West Sunset next week, time TBA.

S. Paige

No comments: