Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ruminations: Missing two in a row for a good cause

Wife's birthday party, mother's birthday party. They were both great.....YOU ain't gonna win that argument, ever.

And this week, I got no reason to complain. I'm headed down to Spring Training, cactus style. There's a lovely place down there called the 3 Palms.

They got a pool, cool ones and a 'cuzzi.

Walking distance to some sort of terrible Sav-A Plenty, that sells handles of booze (check), Fried Chicken (check), sunscreen (double check), and probably access to a $8.99 dvd of Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (bless their rag tag little hearts).

3 Games.

Dodgers vs. Giants, at the Dodgers new house. First game where I've gone into the rival park for a GvD game. And I hear that that rickety old canyon dweller, Dodger Stadium is a real peach; olde tyme to the core, and full of great style.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the game and not being stabbed. Not because of anything I was remotely involved with, but when you have 12 guys with you, sooner or later, something has to happen. Oh yeah, did I forget to mention that part?....that's a lot of beef to wrangle, when all you want to do is have a laid back time in the desert.

So there's that one. Then we are seeing someone at Giants home, Mariners maybe? In any case, Saturday day game, that hangover probably isn't going to be pretty. I get a lot of drink coupons through the SW card, and man its like pulling teeth trying to get rid of those things on a plane. I don't blame them, but its been a while since I had free drinks I was trying to give away. Last year, I bought the guy next to me some drinks, and split the cab when we got there. Not a bad way to go. Maybe I'll see him again. He's probably going to be stabbing me, accidentally of course.

Then, my personal favorite, A's and Giants! I am looking forward to seeing how the A's are gonna wallop the Giants this time. Man, its never pretty, but its always a good time. I love sitting with a bunch of A's fans, they know what we are talking about, and they are confidant as always, that they are going to hammer the Giants. And they always do. Even when they lose, it still seems like they just play better than the Giants.

And this year we get to see it in the A's home park, which I also have never been to. I am rooting for the A's this year in the AL, full bore. They made some great trades, and I love how they play ball like the MBC. Or is it vice versa?

Scottsdale.

The Pink Pony has apparently reopened. But is extravagantly expensive, so I may miss it. I am hoping that Uncle Sal's is still open, it looked like my kind of place. There's a bro factor in some towns that ain't my thing, its a bit too much like being stuck in a frat party that took over a city. It ain't a bad thing always, just ain't my thing.

Should be a great vibe riding on the Worlds Series win. You get enough booze, sun into a crowd, and I guarantee there's some sort of altercation going down with guys calling each other out on opposite sides of a busy street. That's a safe one. Total Rep keeper there.

So, off I go. Enjoy the game, I don't know where it is, but I bet it will be great. And if my steady and sturdy Southwest airplane ( #1 in customer satisfaction, not an official Southwest spokesperson) does fall out of the air, you boys do that East/West thing that I spoke about, with the games and HOF tour. It think it would be great. The Ramblers seem like stand up guys. Why wouldn't they be, half of them are MBC'ers. Simonelli might have some trouble showing up, so maybe he can be a bench coach in absentia. Ezra's the secret weapon that just popped up for the NY squad. Little does he know that we have an Ezra named Ed now. Catches a good game, maddening hitter of line drives, got the spirit. And I don't think he's a Yankee fan, so that right there is nice.

Things go right, I'll be hitting the tarmac in our fair and foggy paradise around the time you guys will be in that post game glow of "Sure I'll have that third beer" and "chips and salsa are a perfectly fine dinner."

Enjoy the game, make sure Bob at least gets thrown at once, not hit necessarily, but close....

Wish I was there with you.



But, there's always next week.

Cheers,

S. Paige








No comments: