You can see the field right in the middle of the island.
Sean wanted to search for pirate booty while we were there, and while we didn't get any of that, Sean did find himself a chest full of K's. Something in the neighborhood of 9 or so. Dominating for pretty much the whole game. Awesome. But that is only half the story.
We flailed away inning after inning, the only man doing his job was Chris who got on repeatedly, stole bases to put himself in scoring position, repeatedly, and was stranded, repeatedly. The rest of us couldn't seem to hit our way out of a paper bag, and if we did, it was too little, too late.
So the game went on through the innings, Johnny kept it within reason, and our defense had some much needed plays. Satch took over for the home team in the 7th and tried to keep it close. By then the score was 5-0, and Sean was smelling shut out. The bottom of the 9th came, suddenly we had our epiphany, coupled with 4 straight errors from the visiting team. Sean watched his gem bleed away, and before he knew what was going on, we had tied it up at 5-5. Legitimate extra innings!
New Greg (who wants a nickname so he can stop being called New Greg, ideas, suggestions? ) came into pitch for the visitors, The visitors scored a run in the 10th, and we countered with our own to tied it up again. Then the roof caved in, and the visitors scored 6 runs in the top of the 11. Woeful, Woeful!
However, being the comeback kids that we were, we somehow managed to rally again, and while we fell one run short in the end, there is no words to describe the ginger in the homers for coming back not once but twice with big innings.
Final score, an impressive 12-11, Sean's shut out just a dim blur in the rearview mirror. Except for all the strikeouts....
The field was in great condition, and most of us pitched in to rake it back into perfection.
* Sean was lights out all game.
* The visitors had every natural lefty on their team, Phelps, Sean, Lattig, and they all crushed it
* The right fielders for both sides had a tough time with the sun
* We had a great broken leg double play, where in a rare instance we threw it around the infield after a catch in the outfield and did manage to get a runner.
* Chris, in addition to his offensive output, also tracked down some short pop ups, which is his specialty
* Special thanks to Greg, Bob and Mitch for catching the whole affair
* The wind was strangely strong, while never feeling so, we had a lot of pop up plays that went sideways
* Jay had some great catches in right when we needed them
* Duane had a frustrating game, something all of us can relate to
* I am thankful that I got some semblance of glove on the come backer that New Greg hit
* Johnny may have been robbed of an at bat in the later innings
* I broke in my new helmet, got some decent scratches already (Having studied the effects of modeling behavior, I need to probably let the kids know that throwing gear is not what you are supposed to do. It sure is a nice outlet though...)
* Mitch was a terror with the bat and the glove, as usual, including a triple that went right past me, about 5 minutes after I got to the game
* Only 17 players, maybe we should play at T.I. more often
* We had a lot of successful plays on base runners, which is unusual
* Thanks to Liam and Aiden who gathered all of our foul balls, when they weren't summiting Mt. Dirtpile
* New Greg's nickname could be Crusher, based on the huge swings he was taking, I haven't seen a ball hit that high since the last time I did it. It could also be E. Dubs (Effectively Wild), but thanks for hitting me in the 11th, I was debating leaning into one anyway.
* Phelps is mastering 1st now, and managed to catch my first line drive to ruin our early chances at a run.
* I am glad that our team called runners safe in some situations that we could have called them out and gotten away with it, it feels good to be honest.
* Thanks to the visitors for allowing me a pinch runner in the later innings, I strained my quads playing softball on Friday. I don't know what I was thinking, I am fining myself $5, payment to Bob next week.
* Tony is now our resident hoo-doo man, he put the whammy on Sean in the 9th and damned if it didn't work
And now here with a patriotic salute, is our AOY 2011, Brian Phelps:
* Next game Marina, 1 pm.