Well it was an epic day for baseball.
After many months of foggy Sundays we finally had a hot sunny day to throw the old pill around. to add to the great weather we had 18 guys for the entire game. sean took the mound for the home team. and after missing a week hewas raring to go. although he labored in the first, he retired the side unscathed.
Tony rojas took the bump for the visitors and had the full arsenal of pitches working. after a quick couple of innings the home team put two on the board thanks to some good situational hitting and some not so good fielding by the visitors. the home tacked on a run in the third.
Meanwhile, sean got into a groove and shut out the visitors for the first four innings. getting good d and some k's mixed in as well. they broke through in the 5th when nick scored on a errant pick off attempt at second. the visitors tacked on single runs in 6th and 7th as well.
mike latting took over for tony in the 7th and gave up a couple of runs but kept it close which set up the top of the 9th with the visitors down 5-3. Noah, having relieved sean in the 8th was throwing strikes but thevisitors were hitting them.
A little foggy on the details but i know mitch, mike l. and john carey had big hits. in the end the visitors pushed across three runs and went ahead for good. greg pitched a perfect bottom of the ninth for the win.
- both starters pitched great
- sean's single that he thought was and out that could have been a triple (but he did have at least one rbi)
- james was on the winning team for a change and had an rbi to help the cause
- the game had a family feel to it as two generations of carey's and uncle (jt) and nephew (owen) played.
- the amazing weather (even in balboa park 'hood) all in all a great game and a fine way to spend a sunday afternoon.
-there's been talk of a t.i. game (double header?) for labor day weekend.
So there you have it folks, sounds like I missed a doozy, congrats to James, who has now improved his record to 2-13, and a big Howdy to John Carey, welcome back and nice work with the stick!
Cop Field, 3 pm, be there!