Boy was it lovely to be back, it was everything I had been dreaming about for the last two weeks. It hurt not to be able to be there for the fourth of July double header (I will write it up once all you suck asses start responding to my email about your favorite highlight of the day).
In any case, we started with 13, then all of sudden we had 20 guys and a great game ahead. Satch was aching to get on the bump and as soon as we had enough, I raced to the mound and Greg was suited up and ready to serve behind the dish. Sean was taking it easy, Johnny started in his stead, and we built up what we thought was an insurmountable lead in the first 2 innings. But such is the nature of Johnny's attack, and through the game as we started to flail again and again at his tailing fastball, the visitors chipped slowly and steadily away at our lead. 4-0, and 5-1 suddenly was 5-3 and then 4 and by the 7th inning it was tied at 5.
Satch left the game with the score still tied and Greg came in to pitch for the homers. Luckily his guile was working and his defense was at its trickiest, cuz his pitches just weren't working. Tony used a great hidden ball trick to get Sean out at third after a lead off triple, and Greg picked off a new guy at first to get the second out.
The 8th saw the homers take the lead with what looked to be a sure third out, but true MBC baseball is the stuff of slow rollers, shoddy fielding and lucky baserunning, and by the 9th we had a three run lead. We agreed to an extra just to celebrate a great day, but the visitors were handcuffed once more and the final was 8-5. Damn, it felt good to be home.
* A couple of excellent battles at the plate, one especially from Mike Gaspar that went on about 10 minutes
* Edwin had two strong hits
* Sean's hit off my knuckleball was seriously a infield fly, until it was in the wind and somehow in the left field gap.
* Tony and I had the same game, we were on base a couple of times, sometimes when we didn't deserve it, and we both struck out
* The new guys caught, hit, threw and ran like old pros, come on out again
* In the same vein, Girgus is proposing that whenever we get a new guy out there, we get him to fill out a info card with a contact number, and that way if he never shows up again, we can reserve the right to call him and ask why he is being an asshole and leaving us on a beautiful day with 13 players....hypothetically
* Sean has a new sidearm pitch that tails away from rightys, just to warn you
* The game seemed to favor the visitors in the 8th, with runners on 1st and third and two outs, Ben hit a single but failed to hustle down the line and was thrown out at 1st to save the tie. You gotta run everything out, all the time, San Quentin taught us that.
* Mitch cut his hair, caught a couple of run saving short flies and hit a monster into the gap.
* John Nero got the Bob treatment in the middle of the back, it was a changeup so I don't feel too bad, mainly I just miss Bob....
* James' MBC record now stands at 1-10, he managed to be on the losing team for both sides of the double header, so if yo ufind yourself on his team, make sure you try your hardest, he needs a win
* Adam and Sean both played an excellent keystone sack, with some great stretches, digs and foul ball catches
Same place, same time, lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it.
Post a Comment