Saturday, March 13, 2021

3/7/21 Baseball

 Beautiful day for a baseball game. The Sun was out, the wind wasn't blowing too bad, and we had 25 people out. 

Phelps out for the 1st time in quite a while started for the visitors and I started for the home team. Pretty close for the 1st part of the game visitors managed to score a run an inning or so, and we managed to not. 

Fact we couldn't seem to get a base runner past 2nd base. But still beautiful day and we were still playing Baseball.

 In the very 1st inning we managed to turn A 6-4-3 double play which was amazing and also got us out of a jam. I bellowed like a moose on the mound with the excitement and pumped my fist like Mad bum getting all worked up. Double plays seem to be both our curse and our saviour for the rest of the game. In fact I think we had 2 more double plays, both of them on line drives where we doubled up a runner. We also had about 3 opportunities to turn regular double plays and we managed to muff every single one  of those opportunities. We didn't even get one out. 

Visitors on the other hand were turning plays and making spectacular outs at every turn. We slowly realised that we were going to get hammered in this game. Not just because of the stellar defense but the offense. I think we need to examine closer the lineups before we start. There's no reason that Lattig, Mitch, Chris p, Phelps, Rich, Ana, Mike N, Dan, and Elan should ever be on the same team.

 I ended up throwing 5 and I didn't pitch too bad. I think I had one strikeout the very 1st batter of the game. But it felt good and I wasn't in a lot of pain so chalk that up as a win. Sean came in to relieve me and looked much more on point. However our defensive woes continued and the runs piled up. At one point we thought it was about 14 to 1, turns out it was only 9.

 To add insult to injury, Liam came in to fireball us to death and work on making a bunch of middle aged people look even sadder than they are. 

 I left in about the 8th inning, to head home and see the end of little Satch's 1st baseball practice. From what I understand, our team made a valiant comeback ,at least by our standards, and made a show of it in the last inning  scoring some runs the final score being 9 to 6.

Highlights

 * it was a very fun game even if it wasn't a pretty game.

 * Bob after muffing yet another ground bawl and injuring himself, looked at me on the mountain side just shoot me. To which I responded you think I'm gonna waste a bullet?

* Hard hit line drives all day from the visitors.  Nick w. Made an snagging snag of one of them in a tight spot

* Hr made a dynamic throw from the outfield to hold a runner. 

 * John McG had a real rope, that turned into a round tripper!

* I hit Anna with a slow curve which I felt bad about,  though Greg said I didn't hit her as much as I thought I did

* The visitors hammered the gaps

* I struck out on an outside fastball that I shouldn't have swung at

* Bob was hurting from his knee and asked for a runner,  Nick W. Who has two bum ankles went in for him.  That's the MBC in a nutshell. 

* Mike made a great grab at third to start a double play.  Unfortunately that didn't work out. 

* Anna made a fantastic scoop at first

*We realized that we had no margin for error,  the visitors also had team speed "Team speed for crissakes..... quoth Earl Weaver "on their side. 

* I think Dan put one on the warning track in left,  we'll get there some day. 

* A very lopsided affair but still a great way to spend a Sunday

S. Paige 

No comments: