Monday, July 22, 2024

7/14/24 GGP

 Another great game. And I say that from the point of view of the guy that blew the game.  More on that later. 

Sean started,  and finished,  for the Homers.  I was late getting to the game, and Dave had the bump, throwing his heat.  The first couple of innings, we were not doing much, other than getting outs and trying to not drop the ball.  We mostly succeeded.

Sean was in pitching mode, and you could see he was hungry for a game, we tried to comply, though our best inning was an error fraught scorcher, but we suddenly found ourselves in the lead.  Chris Powell took over duties on the bump for us and did a fine job of holding the line.  I think by that point it was getting close to 6-2, Visitors.

The stand out player of the game, with an acknowledgement of Sean's complete game, was Santos.  One of the Yucatan boys, he was all over the place with his stellar play.  He made several running catches in center field, and muscled up on at least 3 hits for the day.  He scored runs and stole bases.  He did it all.

So there I am taking over in the 8th, comfortable lead, the Homers had struggled to get the big inning the whole game.  I was feeling good, throwing what I thought was good ball.  The 8th went great, I think I threw about 14 pitches, 8 of those to Santos, who worked me for a well earned hit.  

Bottom of the 9th.  

The bats suddenly came alive for everyone on the Homers, and they clubbed a barrage of hits at me.  The easy fly ball we got all game, suddenly was a bases loaded double.  

The lead evaporated before my eyes, and I was suddenly trying to get my first out, with the game 6-5.

Needless to say, I didn't get said out.

The Homers easily pushed us aside, and won the game, 7-6.

Highlights

* Santos, game ball!

* Sean, awesome game on the hill. Kenball made some good catches in left.

* New guy Darius(?) was also solid in defense, and at the plate. 

* Cap tip to all the catchers

* JT had a couple of amazing plays at 1st, to come off and get the tag.  

* 2 JT collisions as well, though physics told me that JT was on the safe side for at least one of them

* Congrats to McGrath and his oldest son Liam, who got an offer to play D2 ball.  Go get 'em kid!



No comments: