Monday, September 23, 2024

9/22/24 West Sunset

 I left home and it was 90 degrees, and by the time I got to West Sunset it was 61 degrees.  And that is as warm as it got the whole game. We had enough players, which as great.  The game was even handed, which was also nice. I looked it up and the last time I played at West Sunset was 2018, it feels like it has been longer than 6 years, but what a weird past few years it has been.

Nick W started for the homers and he had a really nice curveball working.  We were able to push a few across the plate, and so did the homers.  I was hurling for the visitors, felt good after not playing for almost a month.  We cruised through a few innings and before I knew it, it was the 5th. 

We were helped along by some dropped plays that allowed us to extend our innings, and we took advantage as best we could.  The fog got thicker and colder, and we had at least a couple of plays that went into the fog and disappeared. 

The homers for their part did not give up easily.  Mike N had at least 4 ground balls hit hard down the 3rd baseline for hits, each harder than the last.  A new guy kept hitting singles to right field.  Greg came alive for several hits.  We managed to turn away one bases loaded jam, but it was never easy.  I lost it for an inning, could not throw a strike.  Luckily we don't count walks, cuz I would have had about 4 of them.

Game keeps going, Mitch takes over for Nick, and then gives way to HR.  We built what we thought was a good cushion but it should never be assumed that the game is over.  With a 12-6 lead, I was confident that I could get 3 outs.  That proved to not be as easy as I thought.

Hits.  Boots.  Hits.  Boots.  Bases loaded, no outs. 

The score ballooned to 12-10, then we managed a double play, thank you infield!!! Another run scored on the play and it was 12-11.  How the hell did it get like this.  Up steps the new guy that has 3 hits off me.  I had very little left in the tank by now, and honestly, I was just trying to get the ball over the plate.  I did and for the first time, he doesn't drive it to right field, he hits it to SS and Powell throws him out.  Game!

Highlights

* Great game all around

* Adam saved a few innings, scooping the balls at 1st

* Patrick caught a good game, and had some deep drives with RBIs

* I hit Bob with a fastball, with 2 strikes, which is several things I don't like to do.  Hope it doesn't bruise.  At least the game was official.

* I struck out for the first time in a while, on a slow breaking ball

* Gabe, by his own admission, would have hit better with a wet noodle

* I think our outfielders all play too deep.  Too many short hits dropping

* Powell made at least 3 catches of line drives that looked sure to be hits to left

* Infield fly rule was in effect a couple of times

* More stolen bases than usual, these young kids 

* Thanks for a great game!

No comments: