Tuesday, October 6, 2026

10/4/26 GGP

 How is it possible that I have been able to play 4 weeks in a row?  I have a very cool wife and the scheduling sort of worked out.  At this point, every baseball game is a gift, so I will need to remember that when I am faced with a long drought.

For the first time in a while, we had enough players, and the weather was amazing.  The heat wave that has been sitting over us for the last 9 days continued, but when you say heat wave in SF, it is a little different.  True, on Saturday, I heard that it got up to 87 which is unheard of.  On Saturday, it was a 75 and perfect, if not a little too sunny at times.

Sean and I, veterans of the game and pitching matchups, decided on a new strategy, one that is amazing to think we have not employed before.  We split odd and even innings!  I did the odds, Sean the evens.  We were the visitors, so I told Sean, if we get to the 9th, he gets the extra.  It worked great!  I so rarely get to be on a team with Sean, since we are usually facing off, and it almost looked like we had used some intellectual approach, the way that it broke down with the lefty righty matchups.  

Unfortunately, I got lit up the first inning and third innings, which we never bounced back from.  Our team defense also was pretty shaky at first, but we got progressively better each inning, which was great to see. We gave away too many outs though, through weird hops, muffs, mental mistakes, and then the occasional  bases clearing double. The homers went with a standard Nick W, Patty, Aaron pattern, which will win games most days. It did, along with some hard luck hit balls that went straight to the glove.

Everyone on the home team mashed the ball, pretty consistently all game.  We had our moments but just could not keep up.  Aaron, Patty, Anna, Nick, Lynch, Nico, Greg, Powell, New Guy, and Mitch they all had hits, and ran the bases a lot smarter than we did.

It was close-ish—at one point we pulled into a 8-6 game, and then immediately fell apart and the homers scored 4 more runs quick. Then we had Aaron in the 9th, and that was it.  Beautiful day, quick game, another drubbing absorbed.

Final score, 12-6, Homers.

Highlights

* Great game, great time to be in the park.

* Hardly Strictly was going on in the park, but didn't affect us in any way, something to remember

* The Olde Tyme guys really fuck up the mound, I feel like that could be better managed

* Gabe almost had two amazing catches behind the dish, and he didn't make one much needed catch

* A few double plays, for both sides

* By the time I warmed up in the 5th, I had a 5 pitch inning

* We also worked out a strategy to start most everyone with change ups, and it mostly worked!

* Great pitching from Nick, Patty, and Aaron

* Cole has been coming out consistently, and I think he's about 28 for 30.

* Long lost Adam made his return, and then early exit, but it was for a date, so he is forgiven

* Greg left early too, for some random social couples thing...ON A SUNDAY?  He is not forgiven

* Thanks to Gabe, McG, Nick, Greg, Patty for catching, it was not a great day to have on extra equipment

* Another big mash from Aaron, but I think it was warning track, still very impressive though.  He got slow stuff the rest of the game


* Mitch was raking, and pulling in plays at 2nd.  You know a team is stacked when they got Mitch playing 2nd

* We had at least two lefties playing third and SS at some point, so that was our strategy

* Aaron made a dive for a fly ball in center that felt egregiously like trying.

* I managed 3 hits, and a walk, along with my K

* I was going to suggest that HR start if he showed up, oh well.

* In response to the query, according to the blog, the last time that I got to play 4 weeks in a row was in June of 2010!  Lots of 3 games in a row, but every time I thought I had found the 4th, it would be a write up from someone else because I wasn't there.  Only 16 years, not such a big deal. 


No comments: