ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH, tis be a field of no uncommon worth, full of dirt and grass tis the likes of which ye have never seen!
Just when you think it might all fall apart, the bonds of the MBC come together and reassure you that we are not going anywhere. Deficit? HA! 26 or 27 brave souls ventured out to Treasure Island in the middle of th bay to play a game of baseball, five days before Christmas. The weather was a balmy 63 degrees when we started, we suffered through a little rain, but all it did was wet down the field and pass along.
And what a field it was! Bob had hooked us up with the little league field that he and John use during league play, and to paraphrase tony, It was a pleasure to play on a field that we didn;t have to worry about stepping a huge divot, or clump or take a bad hop off the dome. Infield and outfield both were in pristine condition, helped by the keys to the Club car that allowed us to drag the dirt before the game.
We decided a rematch of the last game was a fair way to start, with Satch and Sean going head to head. After a uneventful first half of an inning, the homers sent a few men to the plate, and then a few more, and had a 3 run lead. That we lost the very next inning, and the score was tied 3-3. But Sean was not in overpowering form this week (Hopefully your arm is alright! ICE ICE ICE). While Satch waited for the weather to darken to help the travel of the changeup and knuckle, Sean was hurt by the dink, the muff, the sun in the clouds, the gapper, and the error.
After five, we decided it was not fair to keep throwing, as we had too many people sitting out, so we stepped aside and Johnny and Mike Holland came in. Mike faired a little better than Sean, but the score stood 8-4 and it stayed that way until the 8th, when again the pitchers changed, and Ezra, in from NY and Trevor, Zach's friend also in from NY, came to finish the job. Trevor had some trouble finding the dish, and the visitors started a comeback, scoring a few, but in the end, the comeback was not to be, and 9-6 was etched by the final out.
Some of us tried in vain to let the game continue until it was too dark to see, but the rain was on its way again, and we decided it was better to have 9 good innings than risk a bad inning at the end.
* A great game of pitchers, of all sets, calibers and angles.
* Nice defense from Brian Cagle, playing Nick Smith perfectly
* Thanks Bob, for over running my hit
* Thanks everyone for coming out and playing
* The sliding and catching on the pristine diamond was great!
* Nice Scoops, Adam and JT
* Nice vacuuming Tony, Chris, Johnny, Mike and Tim
* Great game John and Emilia, now try not o wander away in the Club Car too often, or at least, don't crash it when you come riding back
* Great drives, Rojas! Sean!
* Way to leg out the infield single, John!
* Way to steal the base, Cagle, Satch, Philips, etc.
* Love the comebackers!
* Can't wait to see the pics from Nick, especially the one of Tony get brickhoused at home by Bob...
* Anthony, we can get you some shades. Thanks for coming out!
See you after the Xmas thing, same time same place:
Happy Solstice everybody,