Monday, August 4, 2014

8/3/14 Balboa Cop Field

Two in a row, I could hardly believe my luck.

Of course, I also know that I have commitments the next five weekends in a row, so I guess you take the gifts that you are offered.  The weather was somewhere between muggy, foggy, windy and neutral.  Don't ask what that means, but that was what it was.

Sean started for the visitors and Mitch on the bump for the homers.  It was a good match up, both teams seemed capable.  But the visitors had a case of the dropsies that was much worse than usual.  We could not believe our good luck as we saw balls squirt out of the gloves again and again.  No kidding, errors were averaging two to three per play rather than per inning.  The game stayed within range, and was tied after the first few frames.

Satch made a controversial call to go for the out on a ground ball to SS, with a runner going home.  Ordinarily, this is a no brainer MBC play, but with Powell at SS we probably had a good chance of getting him and stopping the run.  While the argument that early in the game is to try for those sorts of outs, I have seen it go sideways too often.  That being said, I tried hard the next inning to make it up by taking second on a passed ball and third with a great jump, but was stranded.  Might be the first time I have stolen a legitimate base off of Sean. 

It turned out not to be a big deal, as our deluge of runs began and by the end of the 7th, the score was all of a sudden a lopsided 8-3.  Satch came in to throw after Mitch did 6 strong, and I felt good, mixing it up.  There was a grand canyon in front of the mound, so I switched from far right to left, rubber wise which was new.

I can only assume that the homers won, I had to leave the game early, as I got word that Lil' Satch took sick and threw up all over the couch, and I felt bad not being there to help out the missus. 

Thanks to AOY Phelps for the denouement of the game.

Top 9: With a 5 run lead, Powell came in for the emergency relief appearance and walked the bases loaded. Sean hit one off the end of the bat right at me at second and I thought it had more mustard than it did. I didn’t charge it and he beat it out. Rule 42.3.4 - No lefties in the infield besides 1st base. Then Greg (?) hit a blooper over 2nd base that I nearly caught but heard footsteps and hesitated at the last second. Tice, the tying run at 3rd base and Chris got the strikeout (i forgot who was up). Game over.

A good game all around, thanks to everyone who showed up.

Highlights:

* Powell and Mcgrath were both hitting line drives

* Ed and Greg did a great job behind the dish, blocking errant pitches

* John Nero had a great catch in left field

* Duane was the hard luck winner of the game, got hit in the back with a pitch, was thrown out at first and again at third on very close plays

* Paul managed to catch a few while working around his son Malcolm (who is five.)

* Struck out Tim on a nasty breaking ball

* Lattig in pants!

* Maybe I am behind the times, but I love the nickname R.B.Ed, very apropos.

* Infield fly rule was enforced correctly

* Tony had a legit triple, as did Sean I think.

* Lattig had a good day at first, Adam had a day of watching throws sail over his head

* I told Greg he was getting the fastball, and he grounded out to SS, I bet he will think of that for a few days

* Mitch threw a great game

* The Piano Leg threw a wood splinter on to the field of play.  Nothing a little more tar won't fix

* The pop fly was deadly in the first few innings.  Then the wind died down.

S. Paige

No comments: