Tuesday, March 3, 2015

3/1/15 Balboa Park Cop Field






The rainstorm that was spoken briefly of, never really materialized on Saturday, and Sunday was clear and sunny.  We had 21 players, and a bevy of pitchers and catchers to choose from.  Satch went for the homers and Mitch for the visitors. 

The first inning strike out of Bob was satisfying, I must say, on a change up that was three feet lower than usual.  Satch was feeling good.  I should have remembered my Roman history however, and laurels and the whispering Sic transit gloria mundi....

For the first two innings, the homers were putting em up and laying them down.  We were aided by a visitor defensive breakdown that included Chris Powell dropping a ball!  We ran up 5 runs and I was feeling tip top.  I was still feeling tip top in the fourth, but for some reason, the pitches that were lights out before, were just lit up.  I had two strikes on quite a few batters, but they kept hitting the third strike, and hitting it hard.  Greg was running around left field like a mad man, and when the dust settled, the visitors had scored 7 runs! That might be a record, but then again, maybe not in this club. 

In any case, I was significantly humbled.  I requested and got to pitch one more inning to get the bad taste out of my mouth, which I did, and then turned the reins over to Sean who captained the bump for the rest of the game.  Mitch, having his own frustrations, handed the ball off to Sonny, and then to Chris Powell for the visitors.

With the score at 8-5, we floundered a bit through the middle innings and then we regained our stride and took the lead once and for all.  The sun disappeared while we were int he 7th, and the last two innings became a cold, windy affair.  No chance of extra innings, and the visitors, in three layers of clothes and losing players to the late start time, recorded the final out and were staved off for a 13-8 win for the homers.

Highlights:

* Defensively the day was a real spectrum, nearly everyone had a dropped ball or a bad throw, but there were also some real gems

* At one point the visitors had 5 rips in a row to left field.

* Adam and Lattig had great scoops at 1st

* Tony recorded an astonishly poor day at the plate, 0-4 with 2 K's.  Very un-Rojas

* The wind played hell with the fly balls, I thought I had a bead on one in right that went five feet over my head

* Duane was plugged twice in the same spot

* Somehow, I was a hitter for the day, 3-4, double, triple, home run, missing the cycle by not getting a single.  The line drive that was caught was the hardest ball I hit all day.  The home run I was sure Mitch was locked onto, until it went over his head, not sure when that happened last.

* Hank was a victim of line drive robbery

* Sean danced off first with enough lead to warrant 7 throw overs in one at bat

* John Mcgrath, Sonny, Bob, Tim, Chris, all had nice inside pitch drives

Thanks for a great game!

S. Paige

No comments: