Well, so much for a relief from the summer doldrums. We had 11 people come out. Not enough for much of anything.
As luck would have it though, the team with the slot in front of us had a no-show for their game, and we agreed, via Alejandro diplomacy skills, that we would have a game. For most of us, this is a rare thing, to have a competitive game. You could see that a few of the MBCer's were excited with the prospect, and we started to hear rumblings of, "Wow, it's kinda nice to play a competitive game."
Don't.fucking.get.used.to.it. That's what I said. The siren song of the leagues is not far off, when this sort of talk starts. We have a nice little thing going here with our club.
In any case, the other team was a bunch of younger, faster, guys, not a one over 5'6", and we kept up with them for a bit, but like with all things in life, entropy. Just couldn't keep up, couldn't get the hits we needed, and if we did, they were right at some guy. We didn't help our cause by booting the ball a few times, but for the most part, the other team was hungry for hits and they got them.
Sean pitched a great game, and left with the game tied, his innings secure. I came in and threw a few innings, I don't feel like I did badly, but the score did not reflect that feeling. We only played 7 innings which was a bit of a letdown. The self-designated umpire made it clear that we were only playing 7, and we had to clarify that this was what the other team wanted, not just his own schedule We get by just fine without an umpire, we says.
I think the final was 11-7 maybe?
They were a nice bunch, and we shook hands at the end, which always makes the experience better. But seriously people, baseball is waiting, get your shit done on Saturday, so you can come out Sunday.
* The other team was hitting high balls out of the strike zone, which was a good thing, until we started throwing strikes consistently, and then they really hit the ball.
* Speaking of hitting, I hit two guys in the back, with change ups with 2 strikes in the count. Talk about frustrating. I could not get that pitch to work in that inning.
* Mike L made a great cross field play in the 1st inning to get a fast runner
* I think if we had 2 more innings, we could have won
* Nick had a frustrating day in the outfield, two balls hit him in the glove and then popped out
* Cap tip to the pitcher who threw batting practice to his whole team before he pitched the game. That is old school right there.
* I am late with this entry so not much that I still remember. Send me highlights if you want them posted.